Dr. Emily Smith, MD
Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine
Dr. Emily Smith is an Endocrinologist and Internist and obesity medicine specialist who is passionate about helping her patients improve their metabolic health and reach their weight loss goals.
Dr. Smith attended Middlebury College where she completed her bachelor's degree with honors in Neuroscience. She went on to attend medical school at Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine.
Dr. Smith completed her clinical training including her residency and fellowship at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois. She is board certified in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology,Diabetes, & Metabolism, and a diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine. She helps patients with a variety of underlying medical conditions improve their health through weight loss and individualized lifestyle modifications that assist in achieving sustainable results.
In her spare time Dr. Smith enjoys running, reading, cooking, and spending time with her family.
More about Dr. Smith
What is one thing you would want patients to know about you?
I am curious and enthusiastic about understanding the unique factors that contribute to each of my patients’ wellness journeys. I love helping patients discover new foods and modes of physical activity that they genuinely enjoy. The best part of my job is celebrating success alongside my patients. Nothing brings me more satisfaction than discontinuing a blood pressure medication or watching blood sugar improve.
How do you go about creating your treatment plans for Form Health patients?
No one patient’s treatment plan is identical to another’s. My primary goal is to get to know each one of my patients as an individual; I want to understand the story of their life and the story of their weight. While reviewing weight and health history, together we identify those factors that have likely contributed to challenges with weight. I then develop a treatment plan unique to that person, which takes into account genetic, social, lifestyle, and health aspects to treat the disease of overweight and obesity. Treatment plans always include dietary modification and physical activity - but recommendations vary based on individual needs. Where appropriate, FDA approved anti-obesity medications are also recommended and incorporated into the treatment plan. Most importantly, I work alongside my patients using a team approach to craft a plan that they feel is sustainable and balanced.
Why do you love working with Form Health patients?
I cherish the relationships I build with my Form patients. Frequent visits cultivate a team mentality amongst the care team and I love celebrating my patients’ successes. I root for my patients through every step of their health journey, and am frequently motivated by their achievements.
- Obesity Medicine
- Endocrinology: Diabetes, Thyroid Disease, PCOS, and other endocrine disorders
- Internal Medicine
- Fellowship: Endocrinology and Metabolism, Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center
- Internship/Residency: Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center
- Medical School: Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
- Undergraduate: Middlebury College
- Internal Medicine
- Obesity Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism
- Barengolts, E., Smith, E.D., Considerations for Gut Microbiota and Probiotics in Patients with Diabetes Amidst the Covid-19 Pandemic: A Narrative Review. Endocrine Practice (2020). 26(10):1186-1195.
- Barengolts, E., Smith, E., Reutrakul, S., Tonucci, L., Anothaisintawee, T., The Effect of Probiotic Yogurt on Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes or Obesity: A Meta-Analysis of 9 Randomized Controlled Trials. Nutrients (2019). 11(3):671-689.
- Pusec, C.M., De Jesus, A., Khan, M.W., Terry, A.R., Ludvik, A.E., Xu, K., Giancola, N., Pervaiz, H., Smith, E.D., Ding, X., Harrison, S., Chandel, N.S., Becker, T.C., Hay, N., Ardehali, H., Cordoba Chacon, J., Layden, B.T., Hepatic HKDC1 Expression Contributes to Liver Metabolism. Endocrinology (2019). 160(2):313-330.
- Smith, E. D., Layden, B. T., Hassan, C., and Sanchez-Johnsen, L., Surgical Treatment of Obesity in Latinos and African Americans: Future Directions and Recommendations to Reduce Disparities in Bariatric Surgery. Bariatric Surgical Practice and Patient Care (2018). 13(1):2-11.
- Spritzer, M., Daviau, E. D., Coneeny, M. K., Engelman, S. M., Princt, W. T., and Rodriguez-Wisdom, K. N., The effects of testosterone on spatial learning and memory in adult male rats. Hormones and Behavior 59, 484-496. 2011.
- Halperin, F., Axelbaum, J., Joshi, P., Maldonado, M., Sakkas, D., Selvaratnam, S., Simpson, A., Smith, E., and Vaughan, D., Women with infertility referred to Telehealth obesity treatment show high engagement and lose weight. The Obesity Society Obesity Week 2022. November 2022. San Diego, CA.
- Pusec, C., Smith, E.D., Ludvik, A., Lowe, W.L., Layden, B.T., HKDC1, a novel fifth hexokinase is involved in whole body glucose metabolism. American Diabetes Association 76thScientific Sessions. June 2016. New Orleans, LA.
- Daviau, E., Vellanki, P., Sisk, R., Stefanovski, D., Bergman, R. N., and Dunaif, A., Obese Women with PCOS Have Reduced Liver Glucokinase Activity: Impact of Oral & IV Glucose on Heapatic Glucose Metabolism. Lewis Landsberg Research Day, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. May, 2015. Chicago, IL.
- Daviau, E., Vellanki, P., Sisk, R., Stefanovski, D., Bergman, R. N., and Dunaif, A., Obese Women with PCOS Have Reduced Liver Glucokinase Activity: Impact of Oral & IV Glucose on Heaptic Glucose Metabolism. 16thInternational Congress of Endocrinology & The Endocrine Society’s 96thAnnual Meeting and Expo. June, 2014. Chicago, IL.
- Daviau, E., Vellanki, P., Torchen, L., Sisk, R., Werstein, B., Legro, R. S., Urbanek, M., Hayes, M. G., and Dunaif, A., Mapping Missing Heritability in PCOS: Developing Interpretive and Validation Methodology for Identifying the Contribution of Rare Variants to PCOS. 16th International Congress of Endocrinology & The Endocrine Society’s 96th Annual Meeting and Expo. June, 2014. Chicago, IL.